Crest with Three Crowns and Bible. Darke Hall honours colleges in Canada and England with their Crests, honouring their music teaching traditions.
Francis Darke’s philanthropic efforts greatly enhanced the City of Regina. His donation of $85,000 and fundraising efforts of $40,000 helped establish Regina College in 1910. He served as a member of the Board of Governors for the school for 24 years. He also donated the money to build the Darke Hall for Music and Art in 1929. Darke Hall quickly became a bastion of culture for Regina and many musical and theatrical productions took place there over the years. It also served as the home of the Regina Symphony Orchestra for 41 years. Darke also donated the church bells that currently reside in the Knox-Metropolitan United Church. The bells, which were donated in 1927, were given as a memorial to Darke’s son Clifford, who had died in an automobile accident in 1926.
13 of 13