Many glass makers of the time emulated the techniques of Louis Comfort Tiffany’s famous – and innovative – New York glass studios: rich colouration and floral detail, and the re-invention of opalescent and even iridescent glass (after Tiffany’s visit to the treasures of ancient Egypt.)
The venue is now named after the BC Permanent & Loan Company, which opened in 1907. From 1935, the Bank of Canada occupied the space for several decades.
We hope to learn the identity of the maker of the lovely glass in The Permanent, probably in Eastern Canada or the United States.
International examples of glazed atriums are here.
5 of 14